June 5, 2008

Beirut Concert Recap

Last Wednesday night, I went to the Beirut concert at the Grand Regency Ballroom. To sum up the entire night: AMAZING.com or if you will, BOMB.com

After a pre-concert hair appointment with my new stylist (haha), P & I headed over to the venue at 8:45pm. The place was mildly packed with a crowd that thankfully looked old enough to purchase liquor or at least cigarettes and Lotto scratchers. BIG MONEY! We got in line to get our obnoxious over 21 bracelets which were not only red BUT had the word "Budweiser" emblazoned on them. Not fierce at all. After crowding around the merch table and deciding that I would never ever wear a band t-shirt, we got some beers. IPA. As we stood there sipping our alcoholic beverages, we ran into friends, frenemies, enemies, and co-workers.

P & I finally made it into the actual ballroom where The Brunettes were finishing up their set. They were quite cute. We positioned ourselves towards the right (stage left) of the stage and prayed and hoped that nobody would bum rush us later on during the night. Unfortunately, my hopes were soon dashed when 2 Brosephs managed to stand in front of me. I voiced my anger over that fact that they clearly had a foot over me and the two dudes kindly allowed myself and the group we were with to stand in front of them. OMG! How kind of you! Really, are you sure it wouldn't be too much trouble??? Speaking to them for that brief moment somehow gave them license to talk to us between sets. I felt a sprinkle of liquid-y grossness on my leg... one of the douche bags spilled his beer. ARGH! I wanted to kick his Hollister frayed-denim, Rainbow sandals wearing ass. Of course I didn't. Were they the epitome of that new "phenomenon" ALT-BRO? Yes. Quite possibly.

Any ounce of annoyance I had was erased when I saw Zach Condon on stage and the first sounds of trumpet, accordion, and french horn filled the air. His voice was mesmerizing; I just wanted to take him home with me! He is quite dreamy, even when he wore an In n' Out Buger paper hat while performing. Beirut's music is said to be influenced by Balkan gypsy music so I guess that would be the best descrption of it. There were so many people and instruments on stage that it reminded me a bit of Broken Social Scene. After a couple of encores, the show ended. Best concert I've been to in a while? Yesssssssssssssssssssssss!






P.S. Zach Condon, marry me!


xoxo,
Cynthia

2 comments:

philip said...

"ARE YOU MARRIED?! IS THAT AN ENGAGEMENT RING?"

"Maybe someday..."


Haha, hilarious.
I'm still certain his answer was a line delivered by his publicist/manager/label.

P.S. Your post was a good read; encore!

Dion said...

hahahaha.

breaking bros, slapping hoes!